News Item Archive

To obtain a subset of news items select a country, region or year:

    Country    Region    Year       

Alternatively, click All news items for the complete list

Displaying first 25 items in reverse date order (default)
 

Progress on Asbestos Protections

Feb 17, 2026

According to an article uploaded last week, on February 10, 2026 Saudi Arabia's Cabinet “approved the formation of a permanent committee to oversee all matters related to asbestos and ensure enforcement of its ban, marking a new step in public health and regulatory oversight.” Commenting on these new measures Saudi Health Minister Fahad Al-Jalajel emphasized the country’s proactive strategy in dealing with health hazards: “Any risk we detect affecting citizens, the government works to develop the necessary tools to avert it and to continue enhancing quality of life.” See: Saudi Health Minister: We Act Proactively on Health Risks.
 

Asbestos on Public Transport

Feb 17, 2026

Trade unionists in Grenoble, France are calling for stricter enforcement of health and safety regulations after asbestos had been found in components still being used on municipal trams. According to information from the FO union, asbestos is mostly found in parts underneath the trams, such as the brakes. Following guidelines, work on the contaminated parts are carried out by a specialist company and not mechanics. Recent asbestos inspections, however, revealed the presence of asbestos in equipment accessible to the tram drivers. Requests for FFP3 masks were rejected. See: Grenoble. De l'amiante détecté dans des trams MTag: "Ça peut aller dans les poumons" [Grenoble. Asbestos detected in MTag trams: “It can go into the lungs”].
 

Asbestos in Schools

Feb 17, 2026

A February 12, 2026 press release by the British Occupational Hygiene Society (BOHS) confirmed continued contamination of the majority of UK schools: “Asbestos remains present in 83% of state schools in England, with official UK statistics indicating that around 15 school workers die each year from asbestos-related disease caused by past exposure.” Commenting on the dangerous state of the educational infrastructure the CEO of the BOHS Kevin Bampton said: “asbestos – a known cancer-causing substance – is being systematically ignored in national school policy. This is not about expensive solutions; it is about transparency, competence and putting health protection at the heart of safeguarding.” See: Asbestos still present in 83% of state schools in England, experts warn.
 

Asbestos Scandal: Update

Feb 17, 2026

As of February 12, 2026, it was reported that Dutch laboratories had found asbestos in at least 25 play sand products, with new discoveries of contamination recently found in kinetic or magic sand. The analytical tests were carried out, by in large, following requests from private individuals, companies, childcare institutions and schools. Despite this evidence, the Dutch Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority still has not recalled any play sand products. Some stores voluntarily withdrew suspect products from sale and the childcare sector organization urged facility operators not to let children play with these materials. See: Dutch laboratories find asbestos in even more play sand products.
 

Surgery for Mesothelioma Patients

Feb 17, 2026

Data in a new study by researchers at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai and the Mount Sinai Tisch Cancer Center reported that a type of lung-sparing surgery, pleurectomy/decortication, could “be done safely when patients are carefully selected and surgery is tailored to balance tumor removal with the patient's ability to tolerate aggressive treatment.” One UK critic of the paper, however, said that the coauthors presented “no evidence that the two outcomes that actually matter – quality of life or survival – are better.” See: Disaster on MARS2? Lessons Learned from Modern Day Outcomes of Surgery for Pleural Mesothelioma.
 

Asbestos Eradication in Lombardy

Feb 17, 2026

The Regional Council of the Lombardy Region, Italy last week announced that the sum of €11.5 million (US$13.6m) had been allocated for the removal of asbestos from public buildings. According to Giacomo Cosentino, Vice President of the Lombardy Regional Council, these funds will be used to “implement the Regional Waste Management Program, continuing initiatives already started for the removal of asbestos.” See: Via l’amianto dagli edifici pubblici: la Regione stanzia 11,5 milioni. Cosentino: “Ottima notizia” [Asbestos removal from public buildings: the Region allocates €11.5 million. Cosentino: “Excellent news”].
 

Asbestos Ban Next Year!

Feb 11, 2026

The addition of asbestos and asbestos-containing products to a list of banned substances and materials was approved on February 10, 2026 during a session of the Azerbaijan National Assembly. These prohibitions, which were approved due to the known human health hazard posed by asbestos exposures, will come into force on July 1, 2027. According to data from the State Statistical Committee, in 2024, 1,045 tons of asbestos and 27,634 tons of asbestos-containing sheets were used nationwide. Asbestos roofing sheets remain a popular choice for consumers. See: Asbestos officially banned in Azerbaijan.
 

Surprise Ruling by Rome Court

Feb 13, 2026

On February 11, 2026 Italy’s Court of Cassation (Supreme Court) overturned an April 2025 ruling by the Turin Court of Appeal which had found Swiss asbestos billionaire Stephan Schmidheiny guilty of the deaths which had occurred as a result of asbestos exposures caused by the operations of his company’s factory in Casale Monferrato. For some unexplained reason, the Supreme Court ordered the Turin court to have their 2025 verdict translated into German, the mother tongue of the defendant. As far as we are aware, no such ruling has been issued by any Italian court in any of the many cases against this defendant. See: Oberstes Gericht in Italien hebt Eternit-Urteil auf [Supreme Court in Italy overturns Eternit ruling].
 

Hobbycraft Issues New Recalls

Feb 13, 2026

A day after a leading UK retailer recalled two more children’s products due to fears of asbestos contamination (February 5), the company: Hobbycraft – the UK’s largest arts & craft supplier – recalled yet more products for the same reason. The latest products withdrawn from sale were: My Living World Worm Kit and Basing Sand (Moss Green and Atlantiko Blue), all of which could contain asbestos. Customers were told to stop using these products “immediately.” Over the last few days, five Hobbycraft items have been recalled after a concerned parent commissioned a laboratory to test Hobbycraft’s Giant Box of Craft for asbestos contamination; some of the samples from the box were found to contain asbestos. See: Hobbycraft recalls five educational kits for children as sand may be contaminated with asbestos.
 

Voting with their Feet

Feb 13, 2026

Following advice from the Dutch Childcare Industry Association (CIA), that asbestos contamination of play sand products had been found, hundreds of childcare facilities, daycare centers and creches in the Netherlands followed the precautionary principle and withdrew the material from use. Deirdre Bernard of the national childcare umbrella organization Partou called for an investigation by the Dutch Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority even though the regional health authority had said that “the contact with any asbestos fibres in sand will be minimal and not pose a big risk.” See: Asbestos scare leads Dutch daycares to dump decorative sand.
 

Post-Disaster Asbestos Hazard

Feb 13, 2026

Portugal’s Directorate-General of Health (DGS) last week issued an asbestos alert following damage from Storm Kristin, warning citizens of the risk of toxic exposures during cleanup operations, debris removal and building repair work. Prior to the national asbestos prohibitions which were adopted in 2005, asbestos-containing building products, including roofing tiles, cladding panels and ventilation/sewage pipes, were widely used. According to the DGS, when these are damaged invisible fibers can become airborne. See: Asbestos warning during cleanups after Storm Kristin.
 

Which Joins Asbestos Debate

Feb 13, 2026

In a press statement issued on February 5, 2026 by the UK’s consumer champion organization Which, its Head of Consumer Protection Policy Sue Davies said: “It is very concerning that further instances of asbestos have been detected in Hobbycraft toys. Exposing children to a cancer-causing substance is appalling. Hobbycraft must completely overhaul its supplier oversight and testing processes to ensure this never happens again… Seemingly innocent children’s toys can have serious health consequences if there aren’t proper checks to ensure they comply with safety laws.” See: Which? responds to the news that traces of asbestos have been found in Hobbycraft toys.
 

Recall of Suspect Children’s Products

Feb 9, 2026

Having received information from colleagues in the Dutch Government, Belgian Ministers Rob Beenders and David Clarinval called for action to suspend sales in Belgium of children’s products which had been found by multiple national authorities to be contaminated with asbestos. Retailers were urged to stop selling “play sand” as a precautionary measure. See: « Nous devons protéger nos enfants » : de l’amiante dans des jouets, les ministres Rob Beenders et David Clarinval demandent la suspension des ventes en urgence [“We must protect our children”: Asbestos found in toys, Ministers Rob Beenders and David Clarinval call for an urgent suspension of sales].
 

Alert by Dutch Childcare Association

Feb 9, 2026

It was reported on February 6, 2026 that the Dutch Childcare Industry Association (CIA) had issued a warning to childcare facilities over suspected asbestos contamination of play sand products after tests conducted by Australian authorities had confirmed the toxicity of some imports from China. Whilst results of laboratory tests being carried out by the Dutch Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority (NVWA) were pending, the CIA advised “against using any play sand whose origin or composition is not completely certain.” See: Childcare institutions warned to avoid play sand over possible asbestos.
 

Another Hobbycraft Recall

Feb 9, 2026

Less than a week after Hobbycraft – the UK’s largest arts & craft retailer – recalled another product which had tested positive for asbestos contamination, it recalled two more products: Easter Bumper Craft Kit and Pom Pom and Sand Art Kit after tests conducted on some samples of the play sand showed trace levels of the carcinogen. According to the company: “The product presents a risk to health as the vials of sand included in the set may be contaminated with asbestos.” See: Urgent recall issued for two more Hobbycraft products over asbestos fears.
 

Unfolding Asbestos Scandal

Feb 9, 2026

The January 28th, 2026 article cited below was brought to our attention last week by the author Masayuki Ibe. It reported a thoroughly professional and timely investigation of the asbestos contamination of Chinese imports to Japan which was found in play sand as well as magic sand products sold at retail outlets and online via Amazon. See: カラーサンドなど子ども向け「遊び砂」のアスベスト、事業者検査でも次々検出 「基準内なら問題ない」は本当か? 実際には基準超の製品も [Asbestos found in children's play sand, such as colored sand, is it true that “if it's within the standard, there's no problem?” In fact, some products exceed the standard].
 

Asbestos Hazard Ignored!

Feb 9, 2026

The failure by the Dutch authorities to take urgent action after asbestos contamination of play sand had been confirmed was criticized by Dutch asbestos researcher David de Vreede – technical advisor at the Asbestos & Fiber Expertise Center – who said: “I believe that regulators could have called on providers to temporarily remove the products from the market as a precaution until it is clear how great the risk is.” The toxic material had been imported from China. See: Asbest in speelzand al langer bekend, maar toezichthouder NVWA greep niet in: 'Hadden proactiever kunnen handelen' [Asbestos in play sand has been known for some time, but the NVWA (Dutch Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority) did not intervene: ‘We could have acted more proactively’].
 

Hobbycraft: What Next?

Feb 9, 2026

A February 4, 2026 commentary by a UK asbestos specialist itemized laws and responsibilities which might have been broken by the failure of arts & crafts retailer Hobbycraft to take timely action in recalling products found to contain asbestos. Amongst the rules which could have been infringed were: The General Product Safety Regulations; The Control of Asbestos Regulations, 2012; and Duty of Care Guidelines. According to the author of the text, the response by Hobbycraft was “inadequate” as “retailers have a legal and moral obligation to prevent foreseeable harm.” See: Asbestos found in Hobbycraft children’s play sand: Time for more scrutiny and less complacency?
 

Home Visits for Asbestos Patients

Feb 5, 2026

The launch of an outreach welfare program for aging and/or incapacitated asbestos victims was recently announced by the authorities in South Korea’s Boryeong City. The scheme provides “one-stop support from health checks to relief benefits through home visits.” Care is delivered by staff from the Hongseong Medical Center and the municipality. Commenting on the service a city spokesperson said: “Asbestos-related diseases have a long incubation period, so the number of elderly victims continues to increase…and preemptive administrative responses such as health care support and relief system guidance are needed.” See: 보령시, 석면 피해자 845명 대상 건강·구제 원스톱 지원 [Boryeong City, one-stop health and relief support for 845 asbestos victims].
 

Asbestos Eradication: Update

Feb 5, 2026

The use of the word Uralita in the title of the article cited below referred to Spain’s most popular brand of asbestos-cement building products which were manufactured by Uralita. Nowadays, Uralita means any type of asbestos material. The text explained multiple schemes operating in Spain to support the eradication of asbestos from the built environment. The author explained that subsidies were available from each autonomous community to help citizens defray asbestos removal costs. Most of the schemes cover 100% of the charges subject to compliance with provisos regarding procedures taken and operatives employed. See: Retirar uralita gratis [Remove uralite for free].
 

Toxic Holiday in WA Mining Town

Feb 5, 2026

The decision by an Australian travel blogger to visit the site of the former asbestos mining town called Wittenoom in Western Australia (WA) was the focus of a February 4th article which appeared on the website of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Queenslander Ronelle Fotinis took her four-year old daughter with her on the trip late last year to the town widely known as the “the biggest asbestos-contaminated site in the Southern Hemisphere.” Commenting on the criticism she received for endangering her daughter, Ms. Fotinis said: “I don't regret going, but at the same time, I'm not going to go back.” See: Travel blogger called out for visit to asbestos-ridden former Wittenoom town site with young daughter.
 

The Unfolding of a National Disaster

Feb 5, 2026

The text cited below included an informative exchange delineating key stages, developments and actors involved in the UK’s asbestos catastrophe. Author Tom White highlighted political, economic and social factors which combined to create a favorable climate in which the asbestos industrial sector could thrive throughout much of the 20th century. His comments shed light on the reason for the asbestos complacency of successive governments and the failure to act on the continuing asbestos hazard posed by widespread contamination. “I think,” he concluded that the “best available option is a large-scale asbestos removal programme…to stop what are completely preventable deaths in the next 10, 15, and 20 years.” See: Understanding the UK’s asbestos disaster.
 

Calabria’s Asbestos Epidemic

Feb 5, 2026

According to data presented during an asbestos conference in Catanzaro, the capital of Italy’s Calabria region, between 1993 and 2025 there were up to 230 cases of asbestos-related cancers and diseases in and around the area of the municipality of Vibo Valentia. Because many of those affected sought medical treatment elsewhere, even this high number underestimated the catastrophic effect asbestos use had in Calabria. See: Nel Vibonese centinaia di morti per l’amianto in trent’anni: cifre sottostimate perché molti sono andati al Nord per curarsi [In the Vibo area, hundreds of deaths from asbestos in thirty years: figures underestimated because many have gone to the North for treatment].
 

Asbestos at Schools

Feb 5, 2026

During the winter school vacation, asbestos remediation work at nine elementary, middle, and high schools in Uijeongbu City, South Korea was closely monitored to ensure compliance with mandatory regulations and guidelines. The responsibility of the inspectors was wide-ranging and included checking: the work of on-site supervisors, the implementation of asbestos dust suppression measures, the use of asbestos air monitoring procedures and compliance with asbestos emission standards. See: 오늘] 의정부시, 석면 해체 학교 9곳 점검 완료...‘석면 비산 기준치 이내’ 안전 확인 [Uijeongbu City completes inspection of 9 schools remediating asbestos...’Asbestos scattering standard’ safety confirmed].
 

Asbestos on the Railways

Feb 2, 2026

The article cited below described the increasing frustration of the Mayor of a former asbestos mining town at delays caused by the need to remove and remediate asbestos found during work on the Quebec Central railway between Vallée Junction and Thetford Mines. According to a spokesperson for the Ministry of Transport and Sustainable Mobility, although soil contamination was identified during the design phase, more has been found since work began on the third section of the railway. See: L’amiante retarde la réhabilitation du train entre Lévis et Thetford Mines [The presence of asbestos is delaying the rehabilitation of the train line between Lévis and Thetford Mines].